Friday, August 15, 2008

Ummm...Directory "Assistance???"

We just returned from a family vacation to Colorado. On the way back, we routed through South Dakota so the kids could see Mt. Rushmore. I had spotted a book in the gift shop I wanted, but it was $35 and I figured I could be a cheapo and get it on Amazon for less when we got home. No such luck...it was $80 on Amazon. It wasn't available on the Mt. Rushmore gift shop web site, so I decided to call the gift shop at the memorial and ask about buying it from them over the phone.
When I decided to call, I wasn't near an internet connection to look up the number, so I called the old standby, 411.

Here is how the first call went:

(operator): What city and state, please?
(me): I guess Custer, South Dakota...that's the closest town I see...I need the number for the Mt. Rushmore National Memorial.
(op): the Mt. Rushmore National Memorial?
(me): Yes.
(op): and what type of business is this?
.....pause.....
(me): it's...the...national...memorial...?
(op): I have the Mt. Rushmore Natioanl Memorial Society, in Rapid City...
(me): (thinking I'd just call there and they'd have the number I needed) fine, I'll take that number.

Well, the society was closed for the day. So, thinking "that was just one oddball directory assistance person, I'll just call 411 again," I called back and got a (thank you) different directory assistant...

(op): what city and state, please?
(me): Near Custer, South Dakota, I need the number for the Mt. Rushmore National Memorial.
(op): The Mt. Rushmore National Memorial?
(me): yes
(op): Is that the water department?
.....pause.....
(me): no, it's the actual memorial, with the presidents' heads carved in the mountain...?
(op): Well I have a number for the Mt. Rushmore National Memorial...
(me): That will be fine.
(op): here's the number...


Who says education in America is in decline?

1 comment:

katatak said...

My directory assistance skill, let me show you it: 1-800-GOOG-411. Free, don't have to deal with people, has been fairly accurate for the few times I've used it. Oh, and they connect you for free, so it's just costing you the cost (minutes) of the call. Woo-Hoo!
You can also text a search to 466453 (GOOGLE) for quick results (flight arrivals is my fave).
Hope you had a great time in CO!